Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

I am so thankful that starting next month I will be able to stay home with our son.  I DO know how truly lucky I am to be able to have this opportunity.  I know there are a lot of stay-at-home moms out there, but I also know that there are a lot of working moms that wish they could stay home with their children.  I am so happy and grateful that I can stay home with our son.

Growing up, my mom was always home with us.  It wasn't until my 3 siblings and I were all in school all day that my mom started working.  And even then, she was only part time so she had plenty of time to still be a room-mother and stuff like that.  Looking back on it, I am so grateful that my mom was there for us everyday.  Of course I don't have anything to compare it to... and I am sure that kids that had to go to daycare loved that too... but my gut and my values just tell me that I want to be home with my children full-time.

I used to think that I didn't want to put aside my career to be a stay-at-home mom... but then as I got older and especially once I got pregnant and our son was born... I thought "how can I possibly leave him everday?!?!"  Somehow I did it, but it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.  I cried for weeks the entire drive to work every morning and also anytime a co-worker would ask me how C is.  In fact, talking about it today still brings tears to my eyes.  It really killed me to leave my son all day and I am so happy that I won't have to do that anymore!  Yes, I will be putting my career aside somewhat, but I am hoping to still be able to do some contract work on a part-time basis, and either way... it is so worth it to us!

Was your mom home with you when you were little?  Do you work or stay home with your kids... or both?

No comments: